Happy International Women's Day
Happy International Women's Day from the NT Working Women's Centre
International Women's Day is a time to celebrate, reflect, advocate and appreciate. Women in the workplace have made incredible gains towards equality in employment. However there are still many challenges:
- women earn, on average, 18% less than men, and have to work an extra 66 days a year to earn the same pay as men for doing the same work;
- 1 in 2 working mothers have experienced workplace discrimination as a result of their pregnancy, parental leave, or when they return to work;
- women are far more likely to work part-time in low-paid industries and in insecure work and continue to be underrepresented in leadership roles in the private and public sectors.
- 25% of women have experienced sexual harassment in the workplace;
- average superannuation payouts for women are around half those of men, and so women are more likely to experience poverty in their retirement years and be far more reliant on the Age Pension.
It is for these reasons that the NT Working Women’s Centre provides a free and confidential service to all NT women. Whether you have questions about sexual harassment, discrimination, unfair dismissal, workplace bullying, your pay and conditions, or domestic violence and work, we are here to help. In partnership with the the Commonwealth Fair Work Ombudsman and the NT Department of Business, we are proud to have been supporting women in the NT since 1994, and we wish you all a very happy International Women's Day.